Owners: Kaspersky Lab Security
Overall Rank: 4.5 Stars out of 5
To clarify things first, I am aware of the allegations that have been made towards Kaspersky Lab for their inappropriate ties to the Russian government. I have done extensive research on this matter and have yet to see any proof or merit to the allegations. As of to-date, all the top computer magazines are still supporting the software.
Kaspersky is yet another anti-virus protection software for your PC or Laptop. It ranks up there at the top among others such as Norton Security, Bitfinder, and Webroot SecureAnywhere. From testing labs around the world that test how well an Anti-virus software performs under certain conditions, Kaspersky has ranked at the top along with Bitfinder and has earned PCmag.com Editors Choice among paid version of Anti-virus security software.
Kaspersky like most is easy to navigate and will run in the background with little to none interaction from the user. If you’re ready, let’s take a quick look as to what makes it a good product.
The Good & the Bad
PRO #1 Has received excellent results from independent testing labs.
PRO #2 It has rated PCmags editor’s choice and is highly trusted by many users.
PRO #3 Received top scores for phishing protections.
CON #1 Low scores in the department of malware protection compared to a stand-alone Malware protection software. It’s always good to run a separate malware program like Malwarebytes.
CON #2 Some people still believe it has ties to the Russian government.
You have access to Kaspersky Lab Technical Support system by opening up the main menu and at the bottom left corner and clicking on the smiley face. This will open up their support page where you can select from four options.
- Answers to frequently asked questions: Here are answers to frequent questions asked by users.
- Application configuration tips: Here are articles on the application configurations and use.
- Support Forum: Here you can discuss issues, questions, and tips from other more experienced users.
- Support Tools: Here you can receive information about the product and the operating system to help resolve issues by submitting a support ticket.
Overview of Kaspersky Anti-Virus:
One of the features that caught my eye is the ability to manage the protection remotely for all of your devices in one place online. You can even manage your kid’s activity and keep track of where they are when you download the program on their phone.
If your ready let’s take a look at all the features offered in this software.
On the main screen, you have the options to:
- Scan: Run this anytime you think you might have a problem, otherwise, it runs in the background.
- Database Update: Run this if your device has been off for a few days, this also will run in the background.
- On-Screen Keyboard: Activating this will enable an on-screen keyboard for you to use in entering passwords, logins, credit card info and so forth. This way you have the extra security from keyloggers.
Selecting More Tools:
This will open up a pop-up window with 8 options to choose from, I have listed the important ones:
- Protection of Device: Here you can access your online portal to manage devices.
- Quarantine: You can see what items have been quarantined.
- Vulnerability Scan: Here you can run a scan to check for vulnerabilities in your operating system and applications that could be exploited by malware.
- Privacy Cleaner: Here you can run a scan of your system for activity traces (such as cookies and the like) and select which files to clean.
- Kaspersky Rescue Disk: This is a free tool for disinfecting your computer from malware which is preventing your operating system to start.
- Microsoft Windows Troubleshooting Wizard: This will search for damaged and irregular operating system settings that were caused by malware.
Here’s what’s on the Settings page:
- General Settings: Change your general settings like launching the application on startup, performed recommended actions, and whether or not to delete infected objects.
- Protection: Select on or off for File Anti-Virus, Web traffic, System Watcher, IM, and Mail.
- Performance: Here you can control all the actions that take place.
- Scan: You can set the Security level of the scans, scan external devices, and what actions to take on detected
- Additional: Here you can change the settings for everything else as seen in the photo below.
As you can see Kaspersky has everything that you could possibly need in a quality Ant-Virus protection software. It performs well and does not consume many resources that will slow down your PC or Laptop like so many of them do.
Also, the System Watcher is a great bonus, this will monitor and prevent activity like Ransomware in real time. For the price, you can’t go wrong in using Kaspersky if all your looking for is a basic Anti-Virus security program.
There are dozens of great products out there while this one is among the top but if you’re looking for something that will do a lot more you should check out Symantec Norton products, Webroot SecureAnywhere Anti=Virus, they come with password managers, top of the line child protection and monitoring.
You get to try it out for 30 days free to see if you want to run just the free version or go for the paid version that will give access to a telephone or live chat support from 5 am to 11 pm Eastern. You also get the System Watcher that you won’t find in simial products.
If you want to see some comparisons you can click here to view my post of the top 5 Anti-Virus protection software.
Price: $29.99 for 3 devices a year.
Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5:
Kaspersky is a great product for the prices and ranks up there at the top, is my preferred one to use, no, and not because I don’t think it is good enough to run on my machine. Just the opposite, if I didn’t have Nortons Security 360 running on machine thanks to Comcast (I get it free 🙂 ), and had to purchase one,
I just might think about it, because I really like the fact that it doesn’t bog down your system like so many do including Norton Security.
You won’t go wrong if you decide you would like to give it a try, as stated above you can download the software and run it 30 days free, no credit card information needed until you decide to purchase it.
So if this something you would like to try, Click Here: To Download Your Free Copy