Overall Ranking: 4 stars out of 5
Where to Buy: MalwareBytes 3.0 for 1-lic 1-PC $39.99.
Update Feb 05-2018:
Malwarebytes Anti Exploit is now integrated into Malwarebytes 3.0 so you will get all the benefits that MalwareBytes offers in their software. Everything below still applies to the new version!
We all know by now that we need to have Antivirus software running on our machine that is why Microsoft built one into their Operating system starting with Windows 7. But seeing that they are more focused on their Operating systems a third party software company that focuses just on Antiviruses is in most cases the better way to go.
But what about the malware that gets through your Antivirus program., This can happen because Hackers get their attacks out before software companies can get your programs updated with the new patches.
So with this in mind, it is recommended that you have an anti-malware program to offset your current Antivirus program. Now if you want even more protection on your computer you can use Malwarebytes anti-exploit software.
Hackers love to go after the most popular applications to see if they can detect any security holes in them, and once they do they exploit the vulnerable holes before the software company can send out patches to protect those holes.
This is referred to as Zero-day Threats and your regular signature antivirus software will not catch these. So what you need is anti-exploit software, and one of the best is provided by Malwarebytes.
Now how this program works is that it will wrap itself around your programs, browsers, and other applications like PDF readers, and so on. What the program does is monitor the applications for any attempt to change its structure, once it does, it will lock out the attempt and send the user (you) a notice telling you of the attack.
The software comes with four layers of protection, the first layer of protection will monitor any attempts to bypass system protections (therefore such things as firewalls, antivirus, and so on). The next layer will monitor your memory for any exploit code being executed in your memory.
The third layer will block any attempts on itself stopping any attacks to its program. The final layer will monitor the behavior of your programs for anything that seems suspicious from its normal operation.
Let’s Take a Look at the Good and Bad.
- Very lightweight,
- Needs no signatures (database),
- Protection for PDF readers, office documents like Word, Excel, and so on, media players, and browsers.
- Free version to try out before you purchase the premium version that gives you more protection.
- It is hard to prove its effectiveness with bench test.
- The only language is English at the time of this writing.
Who would benefit using Malwarebytes anti-exploit premium?
This is for anyone that is looking for more protection for their PC’s, something that will monitor more than just your browsing of the internet, such as using a PDF reader, music app, word doc. Spreadsheet, and so on that is connected to the internet.
What’s Included in the Software:
The Free version will only protect browsers and the add-ons, while the premium version is going to cover any app that you want to add to its list of protected apps like PDF readers, media players, and office software like Word, Excel, any spreadsheets, Openoffice, and more.
The default settings will be enough to protect you, but if you want there are several options where you can apply more advanced protection for your software. You get six tabs to work from once you open up the program interface by clicking on the up arrow (carrot) in the lower left of your screen and selecting the Malwarebytes anti-exploit icon.
- General: The home page tab where you can purchase the premium version and then activate it with your code. You can also Stop Protection (don’t know why you would want to) and close out the window.
- Shields: Here you will see a list of all the apps that are protected by the shield. You can deactivate any of these in case the program is interfering with one of them (highly doubtful) or any other reason you might have. You can also add a program to the list from here if you don’t see it on the list. If you have purchased the software you will also be able to Edit or Remove the shield.
- Logs: Yep this is where you can see a log of all the attacks that the shield has prevented since the program was put into action.
- Exclusions: Here you can see some detail on any files that have been excluded.
- Settings: This is where you can make changes to the basic and Advanced Settings, though they recommend you don’t change any of these unless requested to do so by their Technical Support specialist. Or if you know what you are doing, you can go ahead and make changes, but I doubt they will offer any support if you run into problems once you make changes. After all the settings that are set by default are for best performance.
- About: This page has links to their website and Support Forum, also you can access their Help page from here and see your License ID: number.
They have the typical support system, a web page where you can find Frequently Asked Question to find answers to most common questions, or you can visit their Support Forum and ask your question about your problem, and from what I noticed you can sometimes get your answer that day, or within 2 days at the most. They also have a contact form where you can email them with an attached file of a screenshot of your problem, and within 24 hours you should have an answer.
Final Opinion on Whether it is Worth Buying:
From what I have noticed it does everything that it says it will do and have found this program to be very light on the system resources, with no notice of it running in the background, And the price of under $25.00 for a year is very reasonable for the extra protection that you get with using this product.
I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for more ways to keep your system safe from hackers, and you will find this software to be a great addition to your arsenal of security software to fight the ever-growing threat we face these days from Hackers. So if this sounds like something you would like, go ahead and click on one of the two links above and get started with more Protection for your PC.
Click on the link below to purchase your Malwarebytes.
Some resources to check out in your interested:
If you would like to check out one of the most popular magazine sites around that has done a bench test on Malwarebytes anti-exploit to see how it holds up click here. Another great source of information on Malwarebytes is from Jim Cockfield at DPreview.com.
I hope you have found this review to be helpful in deciding whether or not you want to purchase Malwarebytes anti-exploit. And if you are like me and are concerned about being safe on the internet I would highly recommend adding this software to your arsenal of security software.
Have any Questions or Comments Concerning Malwarebytes 3.0?
I love hearing from my readers, so if you have any question at all about this great product, or have any experience with it that you would like to share with us, please do so in the comments section below!