Are you seeing weird things popping up on your Google Chrome browser? Maybe something like a pop-up saying that your drivers are out-of-date, click here to fix. Or do you get re-directed to a different page than the one you intended? Or maybe it’s running slower than usual and maybe even crashing on you.
Well, if any of that is happening then this article is for you, because the Chrome Cleanup tool is just the ticket to take care of these issues.
What is the Chrome Cleanup Tool?
The Chrome Cleanup Tool is a Google application that scans computers for any programs which cause problems in Chrome. The Chrome Cleanup Tool targets malware, badware, unwanted programs and adware extensions in Chrome. The application was initially commissioned by Google.
Today, there are more recent versions of this application, whereby, some are built-in while others are available online through various sources. The Chrome Cleanup Tool was initially referred to as the Software Removal tool to remove unwanted extension programs and Google released this application to help Chrome users to solve certain problems that hinder their browsing experiences.
The developers of this application included a security team from Google and an IT security company which aimed at detection threats from hackers and cookies. Later on, newer versions of Chrome Cleanup Tool were developed since the original version was limited to certain threats. The original version could not offer protection against all virus infections.
Now that you have an understanding of Chrome Cleanup Tool and why it was developed, let’s take a look at how to use it.
How to use Chrome Cleanup Tool:
The Chrome Cleanup Tool is quite easy to use. The older versions required you to download the tool first and then installing and scanning your computer for any viruses and unwanted programs. Once any threats were detected, the Chrome Cleanup Tool notifies you and lets you remove them.
So If you are experiencing certain issues such as pop-up ads, unexpected pages appearing on your browser, a slower than a normal browser, or you get redirected to other sites, well now would be a good time to use this tool. And the Chrome Cleanup Tool can be used for both Windows 10 and Mac as explained below. Oh, and you won’t have to download anything this time around, it’s built into the browser. 😊
I’ll start off with Windows 10:
- First thing is to open your Chrome browser on your Windows 10 device.
- Click the main menu button. You will find it on the top right of your computer and marked with three dots for easy locating.
- Once you click on the dots you then will get a drop-down menu with different options, click on the settings option, this will open a new page in your browser.
- At the bottom of the chrome settings page, click on Advanced settings located at the bottom.
- Then scroll down to the bottom of the page to the Reset & Clean up section and click on “Clean up computer”.
- Then Click “Find”, it will now start a scan that can take several minutes. Once done it will give you a report ask if you want the items deleted. Well of course you do, so go ahead and delete them.
- Your all done at this point.
Let’s now look at doing it with a Mac:
When using Chrome for Mac, the process is done manually. In Mac, Chrome does not have the same features; so, you will have to do them manually. And below are your steps to take.
- On your Chrome browser for Mac, open a new finder window.
- On the left, you will see a menu, click on applications.
- You will then see a list of applications that are in your Mac. Go through these applications carefully and look for any applications that look suspicious or you are not aware of what they are. Be cautious as you select the unwanted application, you wouldn’t want to remove a reputable one that is useful to your chrome.
- When you find one that you want to get rid of, right-click on it, then select the “Move to Trash” option.
- When you are done going through all the applications return back to your Desktop and right-click on the “Trash” icon.
- In the pop-up window select “Empty Trash”. That will permanently remove them from your computer, so make sure that’s what you want to do.
If you are still experiencing problems with your Chrome browser after following the above steps, you may need to reset your chrome settings which will reset your browser to the default settings. Just follow the steps below.
Resetting your chrome settings:
- Open your Chrome browser either on the windows 10 or Mac.
- Just like in the first steps above click on the menu in the upper right corner (the three dots), then select “Settings”
- You will now have a new tab opened, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Advanced”.
- On the Advanced page scroll once again to the bottom where you should see “Reset and Clean up” section
- For Windows users click on the “Restore settings to their original defaults”. For macOS select the “Reset settings” option, then click the “Reset” button.
- That’s it, your Chrome browser is now set to it original default settings. Don’t worry, this won’t remove any of your bookmarks, 😊
If all goes well you won’t be seeing any of the problems you were having, if not, then you might want to try running a malware program like Malwarebytes and there is a free version to use which you can find here.
If you are still having problems drop me a note in the comment section below and we will see if we can get to the bottom of your problem. Also, you can chip in on the conversation or ask any question you might have about the Chrome Cleanup Tool!
Hope to hear from you!